Sleep is indisputably the ultimate need of our lives. At the end of the day, we all need an adequate amount of sleep, and no day can begin on a good note if you haven’t been sleeping well. Rightfully so, sleep is being recognized as an important health determinant, one that forms an integral component of our overall health and well-being.
The Big Question – Are You Getting Enough Sleep?
Well, for you to answer that, you must answer a few simple questions. Take this quiz for self-evaluation and see where you stand in terms of sleep.
- Do you feel the chronic, desperate need for an alarm clock to wake you up?
- Do you find yourself thriving on back to back stimulants to stay up and awake?
- Do you feel more easily irritated at work?
If the answer to all of these questions is a yes, then your answer to the big question is a downright NO! Not getting enough sleep each night can not only deprive you of all the benefits that have been mentioned above, but this could also put you at risk of several additional concerns.
Checkout for these Signs
There are several other symptoms you should watch out for, to evaluate your sleeping pattern. These include –
- It takes you much longer to fall asleep at night
- If you happen to wake up during the night, you find it difficult to fall back asleep
- You have been waking up in a bad mood or with a headache now and then
- Irritability and tiredness, feeling drowsy or sleepy during the day
- You find yourself craving for more junk food
- You have been consuming more coffee than you normally would Dark under-eye circles and puffy eyes dulled skin
Again, if most of the above symptoms seem familiar to you, something is seriously wrong and affecting your sleep pattern. And this calls for action.
The Power of Sleep
Sleep is known to play not just one but several major roles in our lives. It not only protects and promotes your physical and mental health but also keeps you safe and improves your quality of life. Let us learn how.
- It boosts your immunity, whereas a lack of it could put you at risk of several different physical and mental health issues.
- The better you sleep, you more likely you are to be focussed and perform better
- It allows you to maintain a healthy weight and prevents chances of suffering from several chronic health issues
- It increases your productivity and work performance
- It boosts your decision-making capabilities and allows you to make good choices in life
- It allows the cells in your body to repair and recharge for the long day ahead
- It improves your mental health and improves your memory function
- Your body releases several important hormones while sleeping
- It keeps stress, anxiety, and long term mood disorders at bay, and makes you feel happy and content
- Last but not least; it makes you feel good about yourself. It reflects on your skin, your health, the relationships, and your professional life.
Remember, it does not take much but a single night of poor or inadequate sleep to put you into a vicious cycle of sleeplessness. So make sure to get enough sleep each night, which is about 6-8 uninterrupted hours for an average adult. Do not cut back on your required amount of sleep, since nothing could be worth putting your health, your productivity and your mood at stake, all through the following day. Here are a few tips that could help you sleep more, and sleep better.
- Prepare and stick to a consistent sleep schedule
- Watch out for what you eat and drink, especially before going to bed.
- Stay active and exercise regularly, especially try going in for cardiovascular workouts, as they promote a night of deeper sleep.
- Create a calm, quiet and cosy sleep environment for yourself.
- De-stress and do not indulge in over-thinking, as that can give you sleepless nights.
So rest deeply, sleep peacefully and make sure to dream sweetly while you are at it!
In case you are someone who is suffering from the issue of sleeplessness and the sleep disorders seem to overcome ever so often, then you may go in for SleepRite Shotz®. This particular sleep-inducing natural remedy from the house of Nutrite needs to be consumed initially as one bottle every day for a week. It is believed that this particular sleep remedy could help you sleep well and sleep tight every single night.
Author: Dr Sonica Krishan
Dr Sonica Krishan is Author and Speaker in the areas of Healthy and Joyous Living through
Ayurveda, Meditation, Yoga and other Contemplative practices. She is a leading Ayurveda
Professional in India. She is also Health Writer, Columnist, Editor, Ayurveda Consultant and
Holistic Healing Coach.