If you have been sleeping against the clock rather frequently, you are likely to be struggling with sleeplessness or sleep deprivation.
Also known as shift work sleep disorder (SWD), this problem prevents you from getting the required amount of quality sleep that you should ideally be getting. Coping with shift work is not easy, but coping with the side effects associated with shift work is even more difficult. This is because, it tends to take a toll on your health, not just physically but mentally as well. The worst part is when you don’t get enough sleep that makes you feel well-rested, and yet you have to show up at work the following night.
Let’s see how it affects your life, professionally and personally.
- Sleep deprivation reflects poorly on your performance at work since you are not as alert as you should be.
- It affects your memory and retention power.
- Your decision-making skills do not remain the same as before.
- It slows down your reflexes and reaction time and puts you at a higher risk of suffering from accidents or work-related injuries
- You start experiencing mood swings and get irritated at the slightest of provocations
- You are more likely to suffer from stress, which further affects your ability to sleep well.
- You are also more likely to put on weight since sleeplessness can contribute to severe health issues like diabetes and obesity.
- Your relationships might get affected, both professional and also personal.
- You face difficulty managing your time or carrying out some simple, everyday activities that you so enjoy.
- If you are a shift worker too and these symptoms seem familiar, you must start making amends before it takes a toll on your work, relationships and / or overall health.
What can help?
There are several tips you can follow in order to be able to manage shifts and sleep well.
- Avoid caffeine intake during the latter part of the shifts
- Avoid dim lights during the shift, as they can get you feeling drowsy. However, while on your way back home, you also need to avoid direct exposure to light. This could make you more alert when you should be prepping for some sleep.
- Besides, while on your way back, do not stop in between to run any errands. This could also increase your alertness level and keep you from sleeping when you get home.
- Do not do too many nights shifts in a row, rather try taking a few breaks in between so as to let your body recover and revive.
- Furthermore, try to also reduce your commute time so that you don’t have to travel much in order to reach home and sleep. This not only disturbs sleep but also could leave a poor impact on your healthiness.
These little tips shall go a long way to help you overcome sleep issues caused by non -traditional working hours.
If you are having trouble sleeping well and relaxed in the occupational hazard of being a BPO (Shift Worker), you could as well try out this sleep-inducing product from the house of Nutrite. While SleepRite Shotz® provides you with natural assistance for the issue of sleeplessness; it is regarded as safe with no side-effects. You may initially consume this nutraceutical product as one bottle every day for a week and get ready for propelling your sleep-cycle back more efficiently and naturally.
Author: Dr Sonica Krishan
Dr Sonica Krishan is Author and Speaker in the areas of Healthy and Joyous Living through
Ayurveda, Meditation, Yoga and other Contemplative practices. She is a leading Ayurveda
Professional in India. She is also Health Writer, Columnist, Editor, Ayurveda Consultant and
Holistic Healing Coach.